From: "Andreas K. Hüttel" <dilfridge@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ncurses; I think I wrecked my fresh install
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2021 13:15:39
1 Am Dienstag, 19. Januar 2021, 04:21:35 EET schrieb Walter Dnes:
2 > Maybe I should've kept quiet. The unicode fanbois probably saw this
3 > thread and decided to get heavy-handed. On my latest pretend update,
4 > I'm getting 8 (eight) rebuilds with "(unicode*)" being the reason.
5
6 That would've been me. And yes... where the impact is low (*) we'll enable it
7 unconditionally now.
8
9 Python relies on unicode being present, the default locale in stages is
10 C.UTF-8, ... too many central parts of the system just assume it's there.
11 You'll be assimilated, resistance is futile.
12
13 (*) In any case, if large libraries like ICU are needed for unicode support,
14 we'll keep a useflag, but in that case the flag is called e.g. icu.
17 Andreas K. Hüttel
18 dilfridge@g.o
19 Gentoo Linux developer
20 (council, qa, toolchain, base-system, perl, libreoffice)