From: Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Installation problems on AMD64 box
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 11:58:04
1 R C Mitchell wrote:
2 > I use Ubuntu for every day but as my box has a spare 40GB hard disk I decided
3 > to have a go at installing Gentoo on it for evaluation
4
5 ah, who says Ubuntu isn't good for anything? Good to see you're trying
6 a real distribution :) </flame>
7
8 Typically now you'd prove me wrong and say how you've been using
9 <dieHardLinux> for years... anyhoo welcome!
10
11 >[snip excellent problem report]
12
13 > I'm reluctant to believe that this is down to an arbitrary hardware fault,
14 > since everything else works fine. It does seem to have something to do with
15 > emerging gentoo-sources.
16
17 hm, this screams hardware fault all over - I haven't seen one issue like
18 this come to anything else. Usually it's the RAM. Can you humour me
19 and try a stick from another machine, or at least reseat it?
20
21 No offence, but I doubt an Ubuntu install would tax your resources as
22 much as compiling your system as you have just done. Strange that you
23 came all the way to gentoo-sources before it manifested, but perhaps
24 it's the only one so far to keep your CPU at 100% for long enough.
25
26 Other things you could try are frequency scaling (maybe it's
27 overheating, where a temp sensor isn't picking it up); and reseating
28 your h/w.
29
30 > Is anybody able to rescue this maiden in distress and throw some light on my
31 > problem?
32
33 but girls don't exist on tha interwebz!
34
35 HTH,
39 We're overpaying him, but he's worth it. -Samuel Goldwyn