From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] console scrollback (kernel 5.14)
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2021 12:36:39
1 Hello, Jorge.
2
3 On Fri, Sep 24, 2021 at 23:44:51 +0000, Jorge Almeida wrote:
4 > On Fri, Sep 24, 2021 at 5:29 PM Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de> wrote:
5
6 > Hello, Alan
7
8 > > > $ patch -p0 <../patch_for_5.14.diff
9 > > > patching file ./drivers/tty/vt/vt.c
10 > > > Hunk #1 FAILED at 3208.
11 > > > 1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file ./drivers/tty/vt/vt.c.rej
14 > > attached. Please start again from a gentoo-sources without any previous
15 > > traces of the scrollback patches, and apply that patch. _Surely_ it
16 > > should work this time.
17
18 > Sure enough, the patch was succesful. Unfortunately, I cannot test it,
19 > because my computer is out of luck (big thunderstorm, crappy power
20 > provider, not-so-smart owner).
21
22 I'm sorry to hear it. I'm sure you've done it already, but get a decent
23 backup from that machine somehow while it is still even partly working.
24
25 > I can ssh into it and it all seems fine, but VT's other than tty1 go
26 > dim after 1 or 2 seconds (showing the greeting) and then go black; I
27 > can login blindly! I'm sure it has nothing to do with the patch,
28 > since I also booted the former kernel (for which the previous patch
29 > has been applied with success as expected) and it happens the same.
30 > Damaged UPS or MO, maybe... Anyway, I'll try again when I manage to
31 > fix or replace the computer and I'll report then.
32
33 OK, thanks!
34
35 > Thanks,
36
37 > Jorge Almeida
38
39 > P.S. I just noticed you mention gentoo-sources. I use the vanilla
40 > kernel from kernel.org. Could that be a problem?
41
42 Highly unlikely. I doubt very much there's any difference in the tty
43 code between vanilla and gentoo-sources, but even so, I'm now basing my
44 patches on a Linux repository cloned from their central repository
45 server.
48 Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).