From: "Matt Connell (Gmail)" <matthewdconnell@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: How to switch from rust to rust-bin?
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 2020 21:12:48
1 On Tue, 2020-09-08 at 20:53 +0000, Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > It seems odd that when there's multiple ways to satisfy a
3 > virtual there's now way to "configure" which one you want for when
4 > that virtual get's pulled in. Maybe I just haven't run into it often
5 > enough...
6
7 I thought about this myself too. I don't think there's any consistency
8 to it either. For example, virtual/jdk will pull in icedtea-bin,
9 whereas virtual/rust pulls in dev-lang/rust. It isn't a big deal (to
10 me) but I also don't fully understand the motivation for all the
11 decisions.
12
13 Maybe a thought for a future portage feature setting for virtual
14 ebuilds, like --prefer-binary-virtuals versus --prefer-nonbinary-
15 virtuals or something? Just spitballing.