From: Ivan Perez <ivanperezdominguez@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] coda auto-login
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 21:11:38
1 2007/2/23, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>:
2 >
3 > On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 20:58:52 +0100, Enrico Weigelt wrote:
4 >
5 > > how can I do an automatic login on startup ?
6 >
7 > That depends on where you want to login - console, KDE, GNOME, another WM?
10 Neil is right. GDM and KDM have their own built-in auto-login mechanisms.
11 If you're using xdm, I think you'll have to play with the /etc/X11 files a
12 bit
13 more.
14
15 If you just want a startx with a modified .xinitrc, changing the inittab to
16 run
17 whatever you want would suffice. However, doing it in
18 /etc/conf.d/local.start
19 or inittab may seem the same but it's not.
20
21 Personally, I wouldn't add an autologin command to local.start, since some
22 services might depend on it to start, and they wouldn't be able until
23 that command you add to local.start finishes. You would have to force
24 the creation of a child process, so that the parent can stop and the init
25 procedure
26 can go on.
29 > Neil Bothwick
30 >
31 > Blessed be the pessimist for he hath made backups.