From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is there a Gentoo Expert in NYC?
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2012 00:01:57
1 David Kuhl writes:
2
3 > I need a Gentoo Expert to take a look at this. Are there any in NYC
4 > around West 72nd? I've got to get this laptop working. After
5 > following the recomendations on building the latest kernel I don't
6 > have a system anymore. Everything on my LVM2 partitions are gone or
7 > at least not working.
8
9 Use a live-cd (I recommend systemrescuecd), and see what the lvscan oer
10 lvdisplay command gives. Does it still find the LVMs? Then your data
11 should be okay. You may need to enter 'vgchange -a y' to make them active.
12 Then try to mount the partititions. pvscan / pvdisplay and vgscan /
13 vgdisplay also give some information.
14
15 > I added genkernel ~amd64 to the
16 > portage/package.keywords as suggested to get the latest genkernel to
17 > build . . . which it did. Now the kernel (3.3.8) which was suppose to
18 > fix the xorg-server problem destroyed the system, I can't boot to the
19 > old kernel either it's the same thing. This is getting worse. How
20 > can I fix this? Is there anyone near by? Thanks.
21
22 What exactly happens? Do you have a separate /usr? I assume you only see
23 the root partitition, and most services do not start because of missing
24 partitions? Do you get a rescue shell only? Does lvscan work there? Maybe
25 vgchange -a y and exit will continue the boot process?
26
27 Give us some information on what exactly happens, and we'll try to help
28 you. I can imagine how you feel, I've been there, too.
29
30 If you cannot open your partitions even from a live-cd, maybe someone
31 will allow you to log in to his system via ssh -L :1234:localhost:22
32 user@host, and the helping person could then log into your system with
33 ssh -p 1234 localhost and have a look. I'd do this, but here it's time to
34 get some sleep now, so I can't help at the moment.
35
36 Wonko