From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Another chkrootkit false positive?
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2011 22:00:29
1 On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 3:08 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > You have     2 process hidden for readdir command
3 > You have     3 process hidden for ps command
4 > chkproc: Warning: Possible LKM Trojan installed
5
6 I don't get this message when I run it, but looking at the source code
7 it looks like the chkproc program reads /proc/ entries and compares it
8 to the output of the ps command.
9
10 The changelog was last updated in January 2006. So if anything in
11 linux kernel /proc/ subsystem or the procps package has changed in the
12 past 5 years then maybe you're getting a false positive...
13
14 You might be able to do a quick manual comparison of the pids in
15 /proc/ to the output of ps -A or something and see if anything jumps
16 out at you. Of course ignore the pid of ls or ps when you're running
17 it. :)
18
19 If you're suspicious of your "ps" binary I would do "which ps" to be
20 sure ps is the one you really expect. Maybe re-emerge procps to
21 replace it, too.
22
23 >  The tty of the following user process(es) were not found
24 >  in /var/run/utmp !
25 > ! RUID          PID TTY    CMD
26
27 I do get this message (with my X process listed below it)
28
29 > however, rkhunter shows:
30 >
31 > Heroin LKM                                          [ Not found ]
32 >
33 > Is this different to LKM Trojan mentioned above?
34
35 I think LKM is just shorthand for "Loadable Kernel Module", not the
36 name of any particular trojan.