From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Should I be worried that I won't be able to dual boot in Gentoo?
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 23:26:04
1 Albert W. Hopkins wrote:
2 > On Mon, 2011-09-26 at 11:15 -0500, Dale wrote:
3 >> So buy a mobo without it or that can disable it. Got it. It'll be a
4 >> good while before I buy a new mobo tho. I'm sure they will have a
5 >> nice
6 >> fix by then but this is something I need to remember just in
7 >> case. ;-)
8 > Ok, I'll bite...
9 >
10 > It depends on who makes your system. For example, I've got a new
11 > laptop, with UEFI BIOS and SATA HDD, but if you go in the UEFI settings
12 > and change a couple of settings, you'll be able to boot into DOS. Why?
13 > Because, surprisingly, they still have quite a few corporate customers
14 > that need to use DOS. So if you can boot DOS you can boot Linux.
15 >
16 > Some manufacturers still provide firmware and BIOS updates via DOS boot
17 > cds. If you can boot from a non-signed CD, you can boot Linux. Some
18 > manufactures still consider it a competitive advantage to offer
19 > "fast-boot" linux-based firmware. Likely those would be able to be
20 > manipulated in order to to boot Linux from disk.
21 >
22 > On the server side, I don't think there is any major server manufacturer
23 > dumb enough to sell a system not capable of running Linux.
24 >
25 > In short, it's probably less of a problem then than people make it out
26 > to be. It's akin to the old(?) days when Broadcom cards didn't work
27 > with Linux. The solution is always simple: don't buy a system that has
28 > a Broadcom card.
31 Well, I build my rigs and no laptops either. Basically, if this does
32 come to pass, I'll just buy a mobo that allows it to be turned off or
33 one that doesn't have it at all.
34
35 I think the mobo should have a way to disable it hardware wise as well.
36 Maybe a jumper or something. I know I'm not a majority here but I don't
37 have and never have had windows. So, if some people are forced to
38 chose, M$ could lose some more users. There are quite a few people that
39 use windows only to play games and Linux for everything else. What's
40 that ole saying about shooting yourself in the foot? lol
41
42 Well, my current rig will last me for a few years I hope. Maybe it will
43 be dealt with by then. Jeez, initramfs crap and this all in about a
44 month. What will happen next month? Oh, /home has to be on / too.
45
46 Dale
47