From: Jerry McBride <mcbrides9@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT]advice for a wireless router
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 15:57:18
1 On Monday 29 October 2007 10:40:08 am Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > On 2007-10-29, b.n. <brullonulla@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > > Dan Farrell ha scritto:
4 > >> On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 01:13:25 +0100
5 > >> "b.n." <brullonulla@×××××.com> wrote:
6 > >> Think of an AP as a way to connect wireless interfaces to the same
7 > >> switch/hub as you can the wired connections. They usually bridge the
8 > >> connections.
9 > >>
10 > >> You're probably right; you only need an AP, because you likely already
11 > >> have a gateway/router. They sell for about $20 us around here, if you
12 > >> get them on the web.
13 > >
14 > > Exactly what I thought. Thanks.
15 > > As for the brand, is Netgear stuff so bad? Here these gadgets seem to be
16 > > more costly, and Netgears cost much less than Linksys stuff.
17 >
18 > I've had good luck with Buffalo AP/routers and xwrt firmware.
19 >
20 > --
21 > Grant Edwards grante Yow! Now we can become
22 > at alcoholics!
23 > visi.com
24
25 Do you really need router functionality? If not, I've had tremendous success
26 with SENAO brand WAPs... namely
27
28 http://www.wlansolution.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=NCB%2D3220
29
30 Excellent, if all you really need is 802.11b or g and basic WAP features.
31 Setup is via web browserand it delivers 400mw of power. Goes through most
32 anything and makes just about all other name brand stuff look dismally
33 weak...
34
35 Usually I set these up behind a linux firewall on their own subnet and
36 ipchain/iptable access to users as needed. Works really, really well.
37
38 Oh... almost forgot, it's a linux appliance and supports remote syslog
39 feature.
40
41 Cheers.
46 From the Desk of: Jerome D. McBride