From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Upgrade Question
Date: Sat, 02 Nov 2013 01:19:38
1 On 02/11/2013 01:31, Silvio Siefke wrote:
2 >> You also need to deal with this.
3 >> > You masked libreoffice-4.1.2.3 but it's also still installed. That is
4 >> > inconsistent; either unmask it and rebuild or leave it masked and
5 >> > downgrade.
6 > Yes i mask bigger package when i saw in @world and not see why should run
7 > upgrade. I know Gentoo is rolling release, but in some things must not really
8 > be or?
9
10 gentoo is what it is, there's no such thing as it must be this or it
11 must be that.
12
13 When libreoffice releases a new version, gentoo probably releases a new
14 ebuild to match. It's just that simple. If you don't want to upgrade,
15 mask all higher versions than the one you have.
18 > Thanks for teaching about poppler. I not know thats so important. And what do
19 > ICU? Its language files or?
20
21 International Components for Unicode.
24 > So again im sorry i nerve i know, but thats we can say so: Social Contacts
25 > important :)
26 >
27 > I find funny because the bigger Programs or important Stuff like kernel has
28 > never and in panic, and so small program like poppler make panic. When someone
29 > say size is important, hhh they not know what they say.
30
31 I don't understand. Size has nothing to do with it.
32
33 Program X needs library Y.
34 Library Y changes.
35 Program X needs to be rebuilt.