From: Mark Kirkwood <markir@××××××××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Backups
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2007 02:30:09
1 Dan Farrell wrote:
2 > On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 15:26:07 -0700
3 > Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
6 >> Do you back up anything other than /etc and /home on a standard
7 >> system?
8 >>
9 >> - Grant
12 > Don't forget to back up stuff that can help you rebuild the system
13 > quickly. Like /proc/config.gz, or better yet just the kernel and
14 > modules you need so you don't have to rebuild at all or generate the
15 > sources.
16 >
17 > Another thing that I think is highly valuable to back up, and very
18 > often ignored, is the output of 'fdisk -l'. If your drive dies it's
19 > very nice to have a reminder of how it was formatted.
22 In order to be able to restore a system (relatively) quickly, I use the
23 appropriate fs dump tool (xfsdump in my case) to make level 0 backups of
24 /boot, / , /usr, /var after a major configuration change (e.g emerge
25 --sync;emerge -u world), along with output from df -m. This does not
26 take too long (/usr does take a while), but really speeds up a restore
27 (I have sufficient packages installed to make an emerge world take > 10
28 hours).
29
30 For a modern server with minimal software actually installed, the time
31 aspect for this method may not be too different from an install from
32 scratch, but it also guarantees that the restored system is the same as
33 it was before (modulo last backup obviously), which can save a lot of time!
34
35 Cheers
36
37 Mark
38
39 P.s : Actually rebuilding from these saved dumps requires a little
40 thought - I'll post the steps if anyone new to dumps is interested in
41 using this method for themselves.
42 --
43 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list