From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gentoo alternatives
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2021 09:16:49
1 On Mon, 7 Jun 2021 11:10:13 +0200, n952162 wrote:
2
3 > > Yes, I know, there are binary versions, but if I wanted to use binary,
4 > > I wouldn't use gentoo.  And anyway, there's always rust and gcc and
5 > > ...
9 > Okay, I guess I got it, at least for the worst offenders, firefox and
10 > thunderbird: not have them in my world file and every quarter update
11 > them manually.  Would that work?
12
13 Not really, because you wouldn't get security updates. Also, because they
14 aren't in your world set, depclean would try to remove them and their
15 dependencies.
16
17 A somewhat less clunky, but still far from perfect, option would be to
18 use package.mask to block updates beyond the current version.
19
20 Using stable rather than testing, I don't know which you are currently
21 using, would reduce the number of updates significantly. This laptop runs
22 testing, but I have Chromium set to use stable to avoid the situation of
23 a rebuild completing just in time to start the next one :(
24
25 You could also look at using distcc if you have more than one machine to
26 spread the load.
30 Neil Bothwick
31
32 There are only 10 types of people in the world:
33 those who understand binary and those who don't.