From: gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] startx does not work for AMD/ATI Radion HD 4770
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2019 08:28:18
1 I have installed Gentoo on my second desktop computer
2 with Gigabyte MA790FXT-UD5P motherboard, AMD
3 Phenome II X4 945 processor, and AMD/ATI Radion
4 HD 4770 video card. However, currently I have only
5 the command line: startx fails to start X11 reporting
6 the following error:
7 ...
8 (II) [KMS] drm report modesetting isn't supported.
9 (EE) Fatal server error:
10 (EE) no screens found (EE)
11 ...
12 (EE) Server terminated with error (1). Closing log file.
13 ...
14 xinit: unable to connect to X server: Bad file descriptor.
15 and this is despite of the fact that I configured 4.19.86
16 gentoo kernel following instructions from
17 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Xorg/Guide
18 and
19 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Radeon#Feature_support
20 Namely, I set
21 EXTRA_FIRMWARE_DIR = /lib/firmware
22 EXTRA_FIRMWARE = radeon/R700_rlc.bin, RV740_smc.bin, and RV710_uvd.bin
23 DRM = y and DRM_RADEON = y as described in the second link above.
24 (I have tried several variations but always got the above
25 error message after startx.)