From: Willie Wong <wwong@××××××××××××××.EDU>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Adding dependencies in init scripts
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2010 14:07:40
1 Damian:
2
3 On Sun, Feb 14, 2010 at 12:56:14PM +0100, Damian wrote:
4 > I understand, but that isn't what I want, because when I boot up, I
5 > don't always start up mpd.
6 >
7 > > Maybe a combination of both
8 > >
9 > > rc_after="mpdscrible"
10 > > rc_need="mpdscrible"
11 > >
12 > > in /etc/conf.d/mpd could also work.
13 > That's the problem. No matter what I put in /etc/conf.d/mpd the init
14 > script seems to ignore it. Even if I write
15 > rc_need="more money"
16 > it will be ignored. Although the config file is read when I restart mpd.
17
18 I am getting rather confused by this back and forth (I thought I
19 understood what you wanted and Dirk and other's answers should be
20 right, but now I am not so sure). Can you answer the following for me
21 just to make sure we are on the same page?
22
23 (a) What is mpdscribble? My understanding is that it is a service that
24 tells other things what is currently playing on mpd? That it is
25 actually a client of mpd? Is it actually a daemon/service?
26
27 (b) What actually is the desired behaviour? From the last e-mail I am
28 under the impression you don't always want to have the mpd daemon
29 running, but you want to be able to bring up /etc/init.d/mpd and
30 automatically have mpdscribble started? Can you give me a description
31 of what commands you want to execute and what you want to accomplish
32 with those?
33
34 (c) I noticed that in your previous e-mail you spelled it mpdscrible
35 with only one b. Is that a typo in the e-mail, or is it actually how
36 you have it in /etc/conf.d/mpd? emerge --search suggests that
37 mpdscribble is spelled with two b's.
38
39 (d) What versions of openrc and baselayout are you using?
40
41 Cheers,
42
43 W
46 Willie W. Wong wwong@××××××××××××××.edu
47 Data aequatione quotcunque fluentes quantitae involvente fluxiones invenire
48 et vice versa ~~~ I. Newton