From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Google Chrome now requires wayland and jack audio?
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2022 21:37:38
1 On Fri, Jul 15, 2022 at 1:56 PM Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
2 wrote:
3 >
4 > On 2022-07-15, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > > On Fri, Jul 15, 2022 at 12:28 PM Grant Edwards <
6 grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
7 > > wrote:
8 <SNIP>
9 > > I'm curious as the USB disconnect problem seems somehow to be
10 > > related to using Chrome on the host machine for sites that do a lot
11 > > of audio, like YouTube. A clean boot of the host machine, followed
12 > > by a clean boot of the VM and I've run for at least an hour with no
13 > > disconnection problems. I can use Chrome for email, messaging and
14 > > reading newspapers with no problem, but I run YouTube and twice I've
15 > > had USB problems in the VM.
18 > Yep, it sounds like doing audio via Chrome is disrupting the the USB
19 > audio device that's in-use by the VM. Are there Linux audio drivers
20 > for that hardware that you could uninstall to keep Chrome from seeing
21 > it?
22
23 There is no support in Linux for this hardware. From the computer's
24 POV it's just an external USB device, partially an audio device, and
25 partially just controlled over USB. I've told pulseaudio and KDE in
26 general not to use it but I continue to see problems. I have no idea
27 what functionality the USB control port is providing.
28
29 I think the next step is to actually blacklist the device by its
30 USB device ID ala something like this:
31
32 https://www.projectgus.com/2014/09/blacklisting-a-single-usb-device-from-linux/
33
34 and see what happens.
35
36 This whole thing isn't overly critical to me. The device itself is
37 stand alone in operation. It's only attached to a computer to do editing
38 which actually can be done on the device's GUI without a computer, or
39 I can hook it to a Windows laptop, or even this machine if booted into
40 Windows. I was just wanting to be in Linux but open a VM to allow
41 me to edit more easily, which I actually can do but I have to hit the
42 reconnect button in software or pull the USB cable, both of which
43 work but are hacks.