From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] The SIMPLEST web server to config (this time - just for serving video files) ?
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2011 19:19:04
1 On Nov 14, 2011 1:25 AM, "Mark Knecht" <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Hi,
4 > Pandu asked a similar question a few days ago about serving up
5 > files, but mostly for distfiles IIRC. It got me thinking about doing
6 > the same sort of thing, but this time to serve up MP4 video files for
7 > my Kindle Fire as well as other computers on _only_ my home network.
8 > Sort of an in-house Mark's Watch Instantly setup. I've now got a few
9 > hundred gigabyte of mp4 files ripped with Grant's suggested app
10 > Handbrake. They look good on my desktop playing in xine. When the
11 > Kindle Fire arrives I'd like to have a web server running on my
12 > private network that Silk (Amazon's KF broswer) could access, possibly
13 > presenting nothing but the alphabetical folders that the video files
14 > are in, and then if I select one it starts streaming that file.
15 >
16 > My main issue isn't really the lightest in terms of memory or CPU
17 > usage, but rather something that's VERY easy to setup the config so
18 > that I don't have to spend much time reading manuals.
19 >
20 > From browsing around a lot of pages on the web it seems that there
21 > are a number of small & light servers (in terms of memory anyway) in
22 > portage. Some names: fnord, thttpd, boa, monkeyd & cherokee. Does
23 > anyone know if one of those would fit my main need of just being
24 > extremely simple to setup and keep running for this one purpose?
25 >
26 > Thanks in advance,
27 > Mark
30 Try:
31
32 python -m SimpleHTTPServer <port number> &
33
34 (the trailing ampersand detaches the process and makes it run in the
35 background)
36
37 Or for something that survives a logout, try:
38
39 nohup python -m SimpleHTTPServer <port number> &
40
41 Of course, RAM usage will be huge compared to the lightweight HTTP servers,
42 but I can't think of a simpler thing atm.
43
44 Rgds,