From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Epson BX525WD
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 15:23:24
1 On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 9:24 AM, Thanasis <thanasis@××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > Anyone with experience working with epson inkjet printers?
3 >
4 > BX525WD is a multifunction device (printer, copier and scanner), and has
5 > ethernet, USB and wifi connectivity.
6 >
7 > Can I use it with CUPS? Do I need any special USE flags?
8 > I use the amd64 no-multilib profile.
9 > I am interested in its printing function in the first place.
10 >
11 > I looked at epson home site for drivers and it pointed to
12 > http://avasys.jp/eng/linux_driver/download/lsb/epson-inkjet/escp/
13 > where one can find binary .rpm and .deb packages for the diver, and the
14 > source code as
15 > epson-inkjet-printer-workforce-635-nx625-series-1.0.1-1lsb3.2.src.rpm
16 >
17 > I downloaded the
18 > http://linux.avasys.jp/drivers/lsb/epson-inkjet/stable/RPMS/x86_64/epson-inkjet-printer-workforce-635-nx625-series-1.0.1-1lsb3.2.x86_64.rpm
19 > file and used rpm2tbz2 to get the file:
20 > epson-inkjet-printer-workforce-635-nx625-series-1.0.1-1lsb3.2.x86_64.tbz2
21 > Among other files it contains a ppd file that seems appropriate for the
22 > printer in question: Epson-Stylus_Office_BX525WD_Series-epson-driver.ppd.gz
23 > I guess I could use that with CUPS, but to connect to the printer via
24 > ethernet, what option (protocol?) should I select?
25 >
26 > CUPS web interface (http://localhost:631/admin/)
27 > gives me those options:
28 >
29 > Local Printers:
30 > SCSI Printer
31 > HP Printer (HPLIP)
32 >
33 > Other Network Printers:
34 > AppSocket/HP JetDirect
35 > Internet Printing Protocol (http)
36 > Internet Printing Protocol (ipp)
37 > Internet Printing Protocol (https)
38 > LPD/LPR Host or Printer
39 > Windows Printer via SAMBA
40
41 Do you want to connect to the printer directly over the network?
42
43 Try nmapping its IP address to find out which services it has enabled.
44 As Jeremy noted, IPP is generally a very good option, but any of the
45 available services should work if you're bouncing through a CUPS
46 daemon.
49 :wq