From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] openmp flag
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2012 15:04:04
1 On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 10:42 AM, James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > background:
5 > It seems there is a major push now to put openmp:
6 > [1,2] into embedded systems [3].
7 >
8 > So I looked at these [4] packages to find something
9 > interesting to look deeper into related to openMP.
10 >
11 > Blender immediately jumped out at me as a good example,
12 > cause an old friend Ken Hughes is, imho, one of the
13 > world's most amazing C programmers, and a stalwart at
14 > the blender project.
17 > OK, here's the question, I went to emerge blender
18 > and found that the openmp flag is already set. {?}
19 > Yet I looked everywhere and did not see the openmp flag
20 > set (/etc/make.conf, /etc/portage/package.use)
21 > so where is it getting set on my AMD workstation?
22 >
23 > [ebuild N ] media-gfx/blender-2.49b-r2 USE="ffmpeg
24 > nls ogg openmp -blender-game -openal -verse"
25 >
26 > I feel like I should know (profiles etc) but, I'm a little
27 > bit brain_dead this am, so any help is appreciated.
28
29 Packages can choose to have USE flags enabled or disabled for them by
30 default. So blender likely has openmp enabled by default, without that
31 affecting any other packages.
34 > OH, anyone is encouraged to "chime in" about openmp
35 > and your thoughts as to it's viability and usefulness.
36 > Do you believe it will become a core technology,
37 > embedded into GCC? Used widely?
38
39 If you can use it, use it. OpenMP is little more than a set of
40 extensions to C (and C++) which allows the normally-scalar language to
41 do some things in a parallel fashion without resorting to the costs of
42 multithreading. This is good, because vector instructions have been
43 available in x86 since MMX came out, and improvements to the vector
44 instructions available to x86 still goes on.
45
46 Related are CUDA and OpenCL, which are two other systems for
47 parallelizing code. CUDA assumes you have access to an nVidia GPU (and
48 have a CUDA-enabled driver installed). OpenCL is a big more generic,
49 and supports dispatching to CUDA, CPU vector instructions or even
50 thread pools.
51
52 Personally, my recommendation is to enable everything you can get
53 working (be it, OpenMP, CUDA or OpenCL); vector processing is going to
54 be generally more efficient than scalar processing. You don't need to
55 worry about which is better unless you're a software developer. (And
56 if you're a software developer, go study up on their differences;
57 tradeoffs happen.)
60 :wq