From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Akonadi crashes
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 05:54:04
1 On Wednesday 14 July 2010 21:25:10 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 14 July 2010 18:29:58 Mick wrote:
3
4 > akonadi is attempting to update your database structure when it starts.
5 > This accounts for any long start-up times you are experiencing. You should
6 > try access the db manually (with akonadi and kmail both dead) and attempt
7 > the update. Investigate and see why it doesn't work. It's 100% bog
8 > standard sql
9
10 I am almost sure that this was not the case with KDE-4.3 or if it was, then
11 this update did not take longer than a second.
14 > [akonadiserver] Database "/home/michael/.local/share/akonadi/akonadi.db"
15 > opened using driver "QSQLITE"
16 > ^^^^^^^
17 >
18 > akonadi docs specifically recommend you do not use sqlite. It just is not
19 > up to the job. I think you should just delete this database, start akonadi
20 > and kmail and let it rebuild all the stuff it wants. This implies and lot
21 > of starting over on your behalf.
22
23 Yes, SQLITE is not recommended, however it worked alright up until now.
24
25 Thanks for the suggestion, I will mv the db and try starting it again. How
26 does one start akonadi? It's no longer listed in systemsettings in KDE-4.4.
27
28 > [akonadiserver] Database "/home/michael/.local/share/akonadi/akonadi.db"
29 > opened using driver "QSQLITE"
30 > [akonadiserver] QDBusConnectionPrivate::connectSignal: received error from
31 > D- Bus server while connecting signal to
32 > QDBusConnectionInterface::NameOwnerChanged(QString,QString,QString):
33 > org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoMemory (Not enough memory)
34 > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
35 >
36 > Oops......
37
38 What does that mean? Why did it run out of memory - there's still plenty of
39 RAM.
42 > Couldn't remove lockfile
43 > "/var/tmp/kdecache-michael/kpc/kde-icon-cache.lock"
44 > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
47 > Does this file exist?
48
49 No, that's what got me confused and I had to ask here for suggestions. Why
50 would it be trying to access a lockfile which is not there?
53 > I must be honest that on the whole I'm left with an overwhelming feeling
54 > that you simply did not bother to read the errors.
55 >
56 > This is a bad habit for a gentoo user. Very bad indeed.
57
58 Alan, thank you for your help. I did read the errors although somewhat in a
59 rush.
60
61 I couldn't find the lock file akonadi referred to and I couldn't understand
62 why it was trying to access a file that was not there. I thought of blowing
63 the db and starting KDE or kmail, but just to be sure I asked here first. I
64 didn't want to risk losing access to my mail or address book.
65 --
66 Regards,
67 Mick