From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Guidance on using Gentoo to clone a Win 10 system drive
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2020 23:38:21
1 Hi Mark, welcome back! :-)
2
3 On Monday, 6 January 2020 19:55:44 GMT Michael Jones wrote:
4 > Generally the way I've handled this situation in the past is like so (this
5 > is written from memory, so expect gratuitous problems).
6 >
7 > On the machine with the drive attached
8 > mbuffer -i /dev/mydrive | xz -e -9 | mbuffer -O hostname:port
9 >
10 > On a machine with storage space
11 > mbuffer -I port -o /path/to/storage.xz
12 >
13 > To make a backup.
14
15 Useful for creating a compressed backup image over the network, but not for
16 cloning.
19 > In terms of cloning windows to another harddrive in general, as long as the
20 > destination harddrive is large enough to fit the original drive without
21 > issues, simply running:
22 >
23 > dd if=/dev/original of=/dev/destination
24 > (I prefer dcfldd, personally)
25
26 This will take for-ever on larger disks as it will be copying all empty bits
27 and bytes. Instead you may wish to try clonezilla, or partclone.
28
29 https://clonezilla.org/
30
31 Clonezilla Live will copy the whole disk or selected partitions along with
32 their UUIDs, so Win10 should have no idea it was just migrated. ;-)
33
34 You'll need a USB/eSATA caddy to put your new drive in and connect it to the
35 candidate laptop, or fit both drives in your desktop and perform the cloning
36 there. Here's the step-by-step instructions you asked for:
37
38 https://clonezilla.org/clonezilla-live-doc.php
41 Regards,
42 Mick