From: tastytea <gentoo@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Portage: emerge(1) ebuild(1) ebuild.sh
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 2021 12:28:33
1 On 2021-01-07 10:26+0000 Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2
3 > On Thu, 7 Jan 2021 17:07:36 +0800, Kevin Shell wrote:
4 >
5 > > > emerge is the high level command normally used by users to manage
6 > > > packages. ebuild is only used for installing and removing
7 > > > packages, emerge does a lot more besides, and is a more low level
8 > > > command. ebuild.sh is for use by portage, bit by users.
9 > > >
10 > > Is ebuild(1) meant for standalone use and not used by emerge(1)?
11 > > I know ebuild.sh is used by emerge(1).
12 >
13 > Yes it is, I guess that's why it has a man page and ebuild.sh doesn't.
14 >
15 > However, in normal use of a Gentoo system, it shouldn't be needed.
16 > However, it can come in handy if you have to abort a lengthy ebuild
17 > and don't want to start over.
18
19 In that case I'd recommend:
20 sudo FEATURES="keepwork keeptemp" emerge --resume
21 keepwork disables most of the clean phase.
22
23 ebuild(1) is useful for package maintainers to check if a package is
24 installing correctly and if the tests run successfully before pushing
25 it to a repository.
26
27 You could also use it to install packages that are not in a repository,
28 but I wouldn't recommend it.
29
30 Kind regards, tastytea
33 Get my PGP key with `gpg --locate-keys tastytea@××××××××.de` or at