From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gentoo-systemd-only deprecation
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 15:20:58
1 On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 7:30 AM, Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > On 2013-07-31 8:22 AM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> On Wed, 31 Jul 2013 07:34:22 -0400, Tanstaafl wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> Where is this 'INSTALL_MASK' option for opting out of systemd
7 >>> completely documented?
10 >> man make.conf
13 > Thanks but... I didn't see one word mention of systemd.
14 >
15 > So, how should this be used to 'opt out of systemd completely'?
16
17 If you don't use the systemd USE flag (and never install anything that
18 depends on systemd), you will not get systemd installed, but many
19 packages will install systemd unit files in /urs/lib/systemd/system.
20 This unit files are little non-executable files which do nothing in
21 your system, but some people feel really strongly about having
22 anything in their machines with *systemd* in its path. If you want to
23 exorcise those unit files, add /usr/lib/systemd/system to
24 INSTALL_MASK.
25
26 It's the exact same situation with OpenRC: those of us who install
27 systemd don't want nor need the files in /etc/init.d, but they get
28 installed anyway. If we want to exorcise OpenRC init scripts from our
29 systems, we need to add /etc/init.d to INSTALL_MASK.
30
31 For the record, I now think it's a waste of time trying to stop the
32 installation of tiny files that basically do nothing, either in
33 /usr/lib/systemd/system or in /etc/init.d, but you have the option if
34 you so desire.
35
36 Regards.
37 --