From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] [OT] - 2D acceleration measurements in Gentoo and guest VM?
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2010 19:50:35
1 Hi,
2 Does anyone know of a benchmarking tool that can be run in both
3 Linux and then in a Windows VM that measures 2D acceleration? I'm just
4 curious about what sort of differences I'll see on this machine for
5 native Linux vs a VM running on the same machine.
6
7 I'm currently using a Radeon 5770 (I think...) with the Open Source
8 drivers. glxgears gives me about 1100 FPS the way it's set up right
9 now. If I resize the terminal that glxgears is running in (by grabbing
10 the lower right corner and just constantly moving it around for a
11 minute) I see the FPS drop to maybe 450. Watching in top it looks like
12 X uses no CPU until I start resizing the terminal and then 1 CPU out
13 of 12 jumps to 100% while I do that.
14
15 My Windows VMs on this machine use low CPU (<5% running stock
16 trading programs) until I start changing window sizes inside the VM at
17 which time they jump to 80% or 90% so it's similar I think. However I
18 don't know the FPS in Windows.
19
20 I'd like to understand if that's something I could improve by
21 changing my X setup or by using a different video card.
22
23 The above numbers came from VMware Player. I've got VirtualBox also
24 but haven't tested it yet under load.
25
26 xorg.conf below if anyone sees anything that could be improved.
27
28 mark@c2stable ~ $ glxinfo | grep rendering
29 direct rendering: Yes
30 mark@c2stable ~ $
31
32 Thanks,
33 Mark
36 mark@c2stable ~ $ cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf
37 Section "Files"
38 ModulePath "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules"
39 FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/misc/"
40 FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/TTF/"
41 FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/OTF"
42 FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/Type1/"
43 FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/100dpi/"
44 FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/75dpi/"
45 EndSection
46
47 Section "Module"
48 Load "extmod"
49 Load "glx"
50 Load "dri"
51 EndSection
52
53 Section "DRI"
55 EndSection
56
57 Section "InputDevice"
58 Identifier "Keyboard0"
59 Driver "keyboard"
60 EndSection
61
62 Section "InputDevice"
63 Identifier "Mouse0"
64 Driver "mouse"
65 Option "Protocol" "auto"
66 Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
67 Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7"
68 EndSection
69
70 Section "Extensions"
71 Option "Composite" "Enable"
72 EndSection
73
74 Section "Device"
75 Identifier "Card0"
76 Driver "radeon"
77 #Option "monitor-VGA1" "Samsung2333"
78 EndSection
79
80 Section "Monitor"
81 Identifier "Samsung2333"
82 VendorName "Samsung"
83 ModelName "2333"
84 Option "PreferredMode" "1920x1080"
85 HorizSync 30-75
86 VertRefresh 56-61
87 EndSection
88
89 Section "Screen"
90 Identifier "Screen0"
91 Device "Card0"
92 Monitor "Samsung2333"
93 DefaultDepth 24
94 SubSection "Display"
95 Viewport 0 0
96 Depth 8
97 Modes "1920x1080"
98 EndSubSection
99 SubSection "Display"
100 Viewport 0 0
101 Depth 16
102 Modes "1920x1080"
103 EndSubSection
104 SubSection "Display"
105 Viewport 0 0
106 Depth 24
107 Modes "1920x1080"
108 EndSubSection
109 EndSection
112 Section "ServerLayout"
113 Identifier "cruncher"
114 Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
115 InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
116 InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
117 EndSection
118
119 mark@c2stable ~ $