From: Florian Philipp <lists@××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] OT: PATA performance
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2008 11:52:44
1 Hi list!
2
3 I've got a little question. Here I've got a PC with two 40GB hard
4 disks, a CD-burner and a DVD-burner, all PATA. Now I'm running out of
5 disk space and I'm thinking about ways to increase it:
6
7 1. I could replace the older 40GB disk with a new model but I'd hate to
8 trash it because it's working alright.
9
10 2. I could replace the really old and rather useless CD-burner with a
11 disk. However, that would mean I'd have to attach the DVD-burner and
12 one of the disks to the same controller. Now I'm asking myself (and
13 you ;) ) how that would affect performance. Would it cause problems
14 when both devices exchange data, for example when burning or ripping a
15 DVD? Could I still watch a DVD while, for example, making a backup to
16 or from that HDD?
17
18 Thanks in advance!
19