From: "José González Gómez" <jgonzalez.openinput@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Blocking only unsuccessful ssh connections
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2006 18:54:59
1 Hi there
2
3 2006/10/5, Daniel da Veiga <danieldaveiga@×××××.com>:
4 >
5 > On 10/5/06, José González Gómez <jgonzalez.openinput@×××××.com> wrote:
6 > > Hi there,
7 > >
8 > > I've got a virtual private server hosted somewhere and they're blocking
9 > me
10 > > because their intrusion detection system detects 10 ssh connections in
11 > less
12 > > than 2 minutes from my current IP. My question is: is it possible for an
13 > > intrusion detection system to differentiate between successful and
14 > > unsuccessful ssh connections so they don't block me? Of course all my
15 > > connections are successful.
18 > As Hans-Werner already told you, there are better ways to detect
19 > intrusion, and of course they could implement it in a way successful
20 > connection would not cause the intrusion detect system to block you,
21 > but its a bit more complicated and would involve the whole system,
22 > wich most providers do not want/care to have and if they have, they
23 > charge over it.
24 >
25 > The questions here, if you don't want to argue with your host
26 > provider, would be:
27 > 1) Is there another provider that does not have such limitation?
30 Well, I would really know about this... does anybody know?
31
32 2) 10 connection in 2 minutes is a good config, why do you have so
33 > many connections in so little time? Is there another way to do
34 > whatever you're trying to do with less connections?
37 Unfortunately I'm not "responsible" for making these connections. I'm using
38 Maven (http://maven.apache.org/) to deploy some files to my server. Maven
39 seems to use a different ssh connection for every operation it does (check
40 for current version deployed, read metadata, copy several files to remote
41 server...). I'll write to the Maven list to ask about this, maybe there is
42 some way to slow down or reuse connections.
43
44 I've rewrote a complete system just so I would not have to discuss my
45 > ISP security policies. I guess it was faster to change a few hundred
46 > lines of code than to keep calling them on the phone to argue about it
47 > (if I could, I would have changed ISP).
50 Well, that's another option. After all Maven is open source, so I could take
51 a look at the code making the connections and try to improve it.
52
53 Thanks a lot, best regards
54 Jose