From: Ian Zimmerman <itz@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: What is the "halt" user for?
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2019 14:57:48
1 On 2019-06-20 05:07, Philip Webb wrote:
2
3 > 190619 Ian Zimmerman wrote:
4 > > I'd like to have a quick way to halt my system from the keyboard,
5 > > without relying on obscure key combinations such as Alt-Up.
6 > > Logging in as a special user (with a special password) would be ideal.
7 >
8 > Why don't you simply goto another raw terminal via Ctl-Alt-F2 (F3 etc),
9 > login as 'root' & issue 'shutdown -h now' ?
10
11 Too much typing :-P
12
13 In the end I set up the Alt-Up hack again, because this thread convinced
14 me nothing else would be as lightweight, in multiple senses.
17 Please don't Cc: me privately on mailing lists and Usenet,
18 if you also post the followup to the list or newsgroup.
19 To reply privately _only_ on Usenet and on broken lists
20 which rewrite From, fetch the TXT record for no-use.mooo.com.