From: Alex <sohalt@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] content of /usr/portage/distfile
Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 19:04:50
1 Hi,
2
3 znx wrote:
4 > http://gentoo-wiki.com/TIP_Free_up_disk_space_in_Gentoo
5
6 > Using CFLAGS="-Os" or CFLAGS="-O2" is much more effective on
7 > a desktop system and can shave off more than 30% of the size. This is
8 > because larger binaries (like the HUGE ones produced by -O3)
9 > take longer to load, and occupy more RAM.
10
11 Is that always true? I mean, I'm not loading and unloading applications
12 the whole time. Additionally I've enough RAM for all applications I use
13 and so I can't imagine that (on my computer with my use) applications,
14 which are slower and smaller, can be faster than applications which are
15 bigger and faster.
16
17 Please correct my, if I'm not right.
18