From: Nilesh Govindrajan <me@××××××××.com>
Subject: [gentoo-user] JDK 7 on server
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2014 08:44:38
1 Hello,
2
3 I'm planning to run GlassFish on my server. I'm pondering whether I
4 should just go away with the default icedtea-bin package or use
5 oracle-jdk-bin.
6
7 I'll be renting out services to customers, so compatibility is
8 definitely a concern. I'm not exactly sure what the differences are
9 between Oracle JDK & OpenJDK; the differences I found so far on Google
10 are old and make sense only for Java 6.
11
12 Java EE will work perfectly with icedtea-bin?
13
14 Automatic update is also an issue. Emerge will do it for me in case of
15 icedtea-bin but not in case of Oracle JDK .. or is there some other
16 option? (Non-portage solution is okay, something is better than nothing.)