From: lee <lee@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] from Firefox52: NO pure ALSA?, WAS: Firefox 49.0 & Youtube... Audio: No
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2016 02:11:03
1 Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> writes:
2
3 > On Thu, 22 Dec 2016 04:15:50 +0100, lee wrote:
4 >
5 >> > There are no config files to edit with the predictable names, the
6 >> > names are created from the physical location of the port. That's why
7 >> > they are called predictable,
8 >>
9 >> I only know what the names are when I can look them up when the computer
10 >> is running. I don't call that "predictable".
11 >
12 > If they are constructed according to specific rules, they are
13 > predictable, by definition.
14
15 You're overlooking that you need to know exactly, in advance, what the
16 rules are applied to, and all the rules, for having a chance that your
17 prediction turns out to be correct. Provided you know all that, you can
18 predict the universe, assuming that everything always goes according to
19 rules. You can not prove that it does and only disprove that it does
20 when you find a case in which it doesn't. So what's your definition and
21 your predictions worth?
22
23 >> They were much more predictable before because I could be reasonably
24 >> sure that each of the ports would be called 'ethN', starting with N = 0,
25 > "Reasonably sure" is not predictable.
26
27 It's still better than something entirely unpredictable.
28
29 Show me that the names are predictable by writing them down, then
30 grabbing an arbitrary computer and plugging in a network card the
31 port(s) of which will then have the names you wrote down.
32
33 > A lot of this stuff is designed to
34 > make automated management easier, so editing rules or config files is
35 > undesirable. It is more about being able to automatically provision and
36 > configure new systems, whether hardware or virtual.
37
38 How does it help with that? Wouldn't it help even more if you could
39 just give them the names you wanted them to have?
40
41 Like if you have N machines with an interface each you want to do
42 something with, the only thing you'd have to do is make sure that this
43 interface gets the right name assigned.
44
45 With unrecognisable names, the interface can still have a different name
46 on each machine. What's the advantage of that?
47
48 >> unless I changed a card for a different one after an udev rule had
49 >> already been created.
50 >
51 > and being able to make changes without messing with the rest of your
52 > system. I stand by my previous analogy of disk devices nodes vs UUIDs.
53
54 Are they predictable?
55
56 > One is readable the other is safe. Yes, you can use filesystem labels,
57 > which can be both, but that requires intervention, just like your udev
58 > rules. That doesn't make either approach wrong, just suited to different
59 > purposes.
60
61 And I would find it much better if network ports had recognisable names
62 without intervention.
63
64 >> > unless you move the NIC to a different PCI slot, it will always have
65 >> > the same name, no matter what other hardware you add or remove. Yes,
66 >> > the names are cumbersome, but they have to be like that to guarantee
67 >> > their uniqueness.
68 >>
69 >> You don't need to defend the unrecognisable names. The names used for
70 >> referring to network ports don't need to be like that.
71 >
72 > No they don't. It is merely one solution to the problem, and the names
73 > are recognisable, Alan posted the key earlier. They are complex and may
74 > look cryptic until you understand them, but so is English.
75
76 They don't become any more recognisable by knowing the rules. They
77 simply remain a combination of letters and numbers which is difficult to
78 recognise.
79
80 >> The perceived advantage lies in being able to refer to network ports in
81 >> a more reliable way, and I don't see how using unrecognisable names
82 >> instead of recognisable ones would make anything easier.
83 >
84 > See above re automation. It doesn't really matter whether you see the
85 > need or not. If you don't have the need, don't use it, they are an
86 > option for those who do want them.
87
88 Unfortunately, that option has been made the default.
89
90 >> It would have made things easier if the problem had been solved by
91 >> giving them recognisable names (or aliases) by default --- or even if
92 >> the default names (aliases) were the same as the unrecognisable names
93 >> --- and allowing to easily configure the names (aliases) actually used
94 >> to refer to the ports.
95 >
96 > That's a good point, and surely doable with udev rules, making the whole
97 > argument moot. I haven't investigated because I don't have the need, but
98 > I would be interested to hear what you discover.
99 > and not that unrecognisable once you understand the systax.
100
101 I haven't investigated either because I figured there isn't much point
102 in it because if I wanted recognisable names, I would have to put some
103 extra work into every machine, which isn't a good option. In the long
104 run, it might be less time consuming to use recognisable names, but who
105 knows if there isn't going to be yet another change, defeating a way I
106 might have found to get such names back.
107
108 >> Being able to refer to things in more reliable ways improves the quality
109 >> of the software. Using unrecognisable names for things reduces the
110 >> quality.
111 >
112 > They are reliable, unlike your "reasonably sure" approach,
113
114 I never said they aren't. I don't see them as more reliable, either,
115 not for any practical purposes. Technically, they might be more
116 reliable, but it doesn't matter to me.
117
118 >> This is like you're defending a type of new pliers.
119 >
120 > I'm not so much defending them and expressing an opinion. I can see the
121 > benefits and the drawbacks. They are an option, albeit one that is turned
122 > on by default (but since when have Gentoo users ever been bothered about
123 > upstream defaults?). Portage even gives you explicit instuctions on how
124 > to permanently disable them with a single command, although I generally
125 > use the net.ifnames=0 kernel option instead on single NIC machines, where
126 > the feature is pointless.
127
128 I didn't see portage or anything else give me any instructions or
129 warnings about this. The names just suddenly changed, and that screwed
130 things up.
131
132 >> But who knows, perhaps it is now possible to easily, on the fly, name
133 >> the network ports through a neat configuration file. I'm merely asking
134 >> if there is because I don't know and would find that very useful.
135 >
136 > Can't ifrename do what you want?
137
138 Dunno, I haven't heard of it before, it doesn't seem to be installed,
139 and eix shows no hits for it.
140
141 >> > How often you you have to type interface names anyway, and how many of
142 >> > those are in a shell with tab completion that takes care of it for
143 >> > you?
144 >>
145 >> None of them are, and I don't type the names. They require copy and
146 >> paste, or very careful and tedious typing after looking them up.
147 >
148 > Well, if you're scripting them, you only need to do it once per
149 > interface, surely? That might be less work that setting up ifrename, but
150 > use whatever works for you, your choices include, but are not restricted
151 > to, and in no particular order.
152
153 The issue comes up every now and then when I need to do something with
154 network interfaces. The unrecognisable names waste my time because they
155 are unrecognisable, and that's really all they do for me.
156
157 > Learn how the predictable names work
158 > Disable the feature entirely and hope the eth0 names work as expected
159 > Use udev rules
160 > Use ifrename
161 > Some combination of the above.