From: Grant Taylor <gtaylor@×××××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: USE flag 'split-usr' is now global
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2019 02:38:05
1 On 8/5/19 5:34 PM, Mick wrote:
2 > I am not entertaining ad hominem attacks on whoever may have been
3 > involved in such decisions. Only the impacts of such decisions on
4 > gentoo in particular.
5
6 :-)
7
8 > I probably used an incorrect figure of speech and caused confusion.
9 > We're only discussing the merge of /bin and /sbin to /usr/bin and
10 > /usr/sbin (it seems to be more nuanced than this though - see gentoo
11 > forums thread further down).
12
13 I started to read to be able to be informed when drafting my reply.
14 Emphasis on "started". The first comment to the quote makes me think
15 that it's going to be a lively discussion. I'll read it later as time
16 permits and respond accordingly.
17
18 > However, the takeover of Linux in general by systemd architectural
19 > changes is a fact. It is also a fact gentoo has been changed a lot
20 > to accommodate systemd. I have set USE="-systemd" but still end
21 > up with service unit files on my system, unless I take additional
22 > steps to remove/mask them. At some point udev/dbus/what-ever will be
23 > irrevocably linked to systemd, just because its devs do not care for
24 > alternative architectures. Some packages require systemd components,
25 > like (e)logind, and so on. Some years ago eudev was forked from
26 > systemd with a stated aim at the time to also restore the borked
27 > separate /usr without an initrd - did this ever happen? There is
28 > a direction of travel and it has been influenced heavily by systemd
29 > design decisions.
30
31 ACK
32
33 I think I could draw analogies with XFree86 vs Xorg vs Wayland. In the
34 beginning, nobody wants to actively stop development of the old method.
35 But in the end, nobody wants to devote any effort to keep bring the old
36 method forward. Thus the old method gets left behind.
37
38 I'm not saying it's correct, or not, just that it is the nature of things.
39
40 > There isn't any - I haven't seen it either. Sorry if I confused
41 > the point.
42
43 Actually, the quote in the first forum post you linked to has the following:
44
45 /sbin->usr/bin
46 /usr/sbin->bin
47
48 That takes four directories (/bin, /sbin, /usr/bin, /usr/sbin) and
49 combines them into two (/sbin & /usr/bin and /bin & /usr/sbin) but it
50 also crosses bin & sbin as well as going opposite directions with the
51 links. — Yuck!!!
52
53 > Yes, same here, but this is primarily because since gentoo's change in
54 > this area I moved away from using a separate /usr fs to avoid having
55 > to use an initrd.
56
57 ACK
58
59 > I have given one benefit of keeping a separate fs for /usr, mounting
60 > it read only for daily use. Or you could have a shared NFS partition
61 > across various client PCs, facilitating system duplication. You could
62 > also have /usr on a faster disk for performance reasons.
63
64 ACK
65
66 > A benefit of /var being separate (or wherever www/, logs/, mail/
67 > and databases are stored) is so that if it runs out of space the
68 > remaining system is not brought to its knees.
69
70 ACK
73 > Ditto for /home, with the addition of encrypting user's data/partition
74 > and mounting it with nosetuid (to prevent the users from running
75 > their own secret root shell).
76
77 ACK
78
79 > So at least two reasons, helping to manage (simply) access rights and
80 > space are valid enough reasons IMHO to not remove a separate /usr
81 > option from gentoo, but I'm interested to hear what others think.
82
83 Agreed..
84
85 > One might argue you still retain the option of using a separate /usr,
86 > but with the new added restriction of being obliged to engage in
87 > boot time gymnastics with an initrd, LVM, your mount-bind solution
88 > and whatever else.
89
90 I don't have any current first hand experience with /usr being a
91 separate file system without using an initramfs / initrd. So I'm going
92 to have to take what you, and others, say on faith that it can't
93 /currently/ be done. But I've got to say, that I find that idea
94 disturbing and highly suspicious.
95
96 I'd be curious for pointers to bugs about this if you have them handy.
97 Please don't look, I'll dig later if I'm sufficiently motivated.
98
99 > However, workarounds which add complication (remove simplicity and
100 > flexibility) to fix something after breaking it, is what all this
101 > argument is about. Such changes remove choice.
102
103 Ya. It's sort of like painting yourself into a corner because one (or
104 more) too many bad decisions were made in the past. I'd much rather
105 admit that a bad decision was made, undo it, and move forward again with
106 new knowledge. Sadly, IMHO not enough people do that.
107
108 > I'll try not to mess up the thread. :-)
109
110 :-D
111
112 I'll try as well. But I'm betting that we're both human.
113
114 > Please do, the systemd merge refers merging /bin to /usr/bin and
115 > /sbin to / usr/sbin.
116 >
117 > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/UsrMove
118 >
119 > However, this gentoo thread mentions further merging, which made my
120 > head spin:
121 >
122 > https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-7902764.html
123
124 Ya. I need to read that thread in detail.
125
126 The following bit concerns me. I do hope that it's a typo.
127
128 /sbin->usr/bin
129 /usr/sbin->bin
130
131 > You're probably correct. In any case, the initial move of
132 > subdirectories of the / fs to different physical disks and hence
133 > different fs' was for storage space reasons.
134
135 Agreed.
136
137 > Yes, for plain users.
138
139 I think it's for /all/ users, not just plain (non-root) users, because
140 root will also want commands in /bin & /usr/bin for various things.
141
142 I think of it more as non-root users don't /need/ the contents of /sbin
143 & /usr/sbin for the vast majority of what they do.
144
145 > OK, I'll rephrase this. Certain binaries require corresponding libs
146 > to be accessible at the same time and /libs under /usr mushroomed to
147 > allow a separate /usr partition to function.
148
149 Agreed.
150
151 > You are right, they just require to be accessible at the same time,
152 > which during boot time when some fs are not yet mounted (e.g. /usr)
153 > could cause breakage.
154
155 Yep.
156
157 I have historically considered what's on the / (root) file system to be
158 what's required to boot-strap the system. Once the system has been
159 booted, then all typical file systems are accessible.
160
161 > It is secondarily important today, although at the time disk space
162 > was the primary reason for migrating fs away from / partition.
163
164 Okay. That makes more sense. Thank you for clarifying.
165
166 > What I was trying to say is, today storage space is usually a smaller
167 > and cheaper problem than it was at the early stages of UNIX and
168 > therefore *today* it is likely different purposes could be listed as
169 > having a higher priority for requiring different fs' to be deployed.
170
171 Fair enough.
172
173 > Discovering my flexible gentoo system won't boot without an initrd,
174 > just because binary distros use initrd by default, should not be the
175 > logic for limiting architectural choices, on gentoo. We should pause,
176 > discuss and (hopefully) agree.
177
178 Agreed.
179
180 > The Gentoo Trustees should do just that, i.e. ensure the project
181 > follows the Gentoo way. No.1 Gentoo Principle:
182 >
183 > "Gentoo provides choices."
184 >
185 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Foundation:Main_Page
186 >
187 > If some dev, i.e. a gentoo community member who is contributing code,
188 > limits choices for users, then it follows his/her code does not fit
189 > into Gentoo and therefore Gentoo *should* not adopt it.
190
191 I feel like there is an important distinction between what you have now
192 said and what I meant with what you quoted.
193
194 IMHO there is a big difference in the Gentoo community deciding (through
195 due process) that the community does not want to include the developers
196 code into the base portage.
197
198 Conversely, I was originally meaning something along the lines of "you
199 don't follow the Gentoo methodology, therefore you are forbidden from
200 even applying to the community for inclusion."
201
202 > If s/he is a project lead and pushes changes against the Principles,
203 > then technical decisions on such matters can be taken by the Gentoo
204 > Council, but it is ultimately down to the Trustees to straighten
205 > out deviations from the Gentoo Principles.
206
207 Oy vey!
208
209 > I've written this as if it is black and white, but of course there
210 > are various shades of grey in- between.
211
212 *nod*nod*
213
214 > Either way, making one wrong decision at at time could end up with
215 > Gentoo gradually mutating into a systemd solution, which has already
216 > restricted choice (udev -> usr -> initrd).
217
218 I don't want to agree, but your logic is correct.
219
220 > I did not mean it this way. Code is gratefully received, but let's
221 > not change Gentoo because any code was received. The shoe has to
222 > fit the foot.
223
224 Agreed.
225
226 Sometimes that means taking 95% of the code and modifying 5% of it to
227 fit the Gentoo methodology. ;-)
228
229 > Because RHL devs have particular use cases in mind. For them /usr
230 > on a separate fs without an initrd is a "custom setup".
231
232 Yet RHEL has Kickstart and many different ways to automate such "custom
233 setups".
234
235 Has RHEL gotten /that/ short sighted that they think there are no longer
236 people that do anything but click next a bunch of times and accepting
237 the default?
238
239 *HEAVYsigh*
240
241 Nevermind. Don't answer that.
242
243 > Sure. Investigating opportunities to improve Linux is laudable.
244
245 Very well said.
246
247 > Right, until udev won't work without /usr being mounted and then an
248 > initrd is a must.
249
250 I need to do some research.
251
252 > Yes, until we started deviating from it, because someone offered
253 > us code.
254
255 Is any distro following FHS even remotely faithfully any more? I
256 thought most mainstream distros had moved on about ten years ago.
257
258 > Gentoo is by principle more accommodative than binary distributions
259 > and I'd rather it remained so.
260
261 ACK
262
263 > Agreed. I'm not advocating stifling discussion or innovation.
264
265 :-)
266
267 > Right, which is rather different from:
268 >
269 > We've outsourced code development to RHL devs and we'll use whatever
270 > they feed us, even if this changes our OS to a disagreeable degree.
271
272 :-/
273
274 > At the same time I know devs are a scarce resource and good devs
275 > even scarcer, so there will always be a need to avoid reinventing
276 > the wheel and use what upstream provide. I just hope the Gentoo
277 > principles hold a while longer.
278
279 Maybe it's my Slackware roots showing. But I want to believe that it's
280 possible to judiciously configure and compile software to work on just
281 about any platform. (Assuming that the requisite version of libraries
282 are somewhere on the system.)
287 Grant. . . .
288 unix || die