From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] A tale of computing thud and blunder
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 00:19:03
1 Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > It's probably the sum total of the effect of all the flags. I've
3 > renamed the thread, to be more accurate. Here's how things went... *
4 > right after the install (presumably with generic i686 code) the PC
5 > could not handle streaming 1080i video from my HDHomerun TV tuner * I
6 > misinterpreted output from gcc diagnostics, and concluded that
7 > "march=-native" left several flags disabled that shouldn't be * acting
8 > on that (mis)information), I emerged system+world+kernel and found
9 > that not only could my system handle 1080i, it could handle a 1080p
10 > Youtube clip without problems, after a lot of buffering. My 5 megabit
11 > ADSL connection was the limiting factor there. It's supposed to be
12 > upgraded to 6 megabits one of these days, for some minor improvement.
13 > * I mistakenly thought that it was the additional flags in CFLAGS
14 > during the emerge system+world that boosted the video. Actually, the
15 > emerge would've done the trick. The lesson from this is that, before
16 > doing any benchmarking or heavy-duty usage, one should emerge
17 > system+world, to replace the generic code from the install CD with
18 > fully optimized code. It's easiest to so right after the initial
19 > install, so that there are as few packages to emerge as possible.
22 That is good advice too. When I do a install, I unpack the tarball and
23 do the normal things and get my make.conf settings done. Since there is
24 very little installed anyway, I do a emerge -ev world. It usually takes
25 only a hour or so depending on the speed of the rig. Thing is, you then
26 have everything compiled with your settings and not the generic ones the
27 tarball had. It also updates anything that needs it too. Even before
28 amd64 came along I did it this way. Lots of people use Intel CPUs but I
29 use AMD. I don't know what the person that made the tarball uses but
30 either way, he has to make it generic so that it will run on ANY CPU.
31
32 I wonder if they should mention this in the docs? It seemed to have
33 made a difference in your case for sure. You went from not being able
34 to play a video to being able to play a HD video.
35
36 Dale
37
41 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!
42
43 Miss the compile output? Hint:
44 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"