From: Jarry <jarry@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: VIA K8M890/K8M880 (VT8251) supported?
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 18:28:28
1 Sven Köhler wrote:
2
3 > IMHO, the patch should only include the PCI-Id or something like that -
4 > well, but the patch doesn't seem to be as simple as that.
5 > Do you have a link to the patch? or even a link to the discussion in the
6 > LKML?
7
8 The patched ahci.c is for example here:
9 http://grivell.home.comcast.net/ahci.c
10 Someone with nick "CodeRedLin" modified ahci.c with via patch...
11
12 Instead of standard ahci.c which comes with 2.6.15-gentoo-r7 sources
13 I used this modified one, and it really works! Suddenly both my sata
14 drives are detected. hdparm -t /dev/sda (sdb) gives me very nice
15 65 MB/s, and that is while I'm doing raid1-resync!
16
17 But he (author) says this patched ahci.c will probably not work
18 with 2.6.16 :-(
19
20 There is another patch for sata_via.c :
21 http://web.ukonline.co.uk/paulrbarber/sata_via_20060221.c
22 I did not test it, as that modified ahci.c worked for me.
23 BTW, I'm not sure what is better to use: ahci.c, or sata_via.c?
24
25 I have found a very good discussion about vt8521 & linux here:
26 http://forums.viaarena.com/messageview.aspx?catid=28&threadid=68455&STARTPAGE=1&FTVAR_FORUMVIEWTMP=Linear
27 (all in one line)
28
29 Jarry