From: Bob Sanders <rmsand@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] i386 vs amd64
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 04:24:00
1 On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 20:07:47 -0400
2 Sean <rsh.lists@×××××××.net> wrote:
3
4 > I have several Loki game titles around, are they able to run on amd64
5 > gentoo?
8 Some do, with a bit of finding out when to wave the chicken. Unreal Tournament
9 installs and runs without problem, once it's unmasked.
10
11 Others I've run under amd64 -
12
13 I've had Railroad Tycoon2 running.
14
15 Half Life running under Crossover Office.
16
17 The Sims, Linux Edition runs, until asking for help, then it crashes.
18
19 Have never, ever, gotten Tropico running under Cedegra, on either x86 nor x86_64.
20 (And being a dictator is a critical need!)
21
22 Non-game - Both Comicworks and True-Basic Gold run under Cedegra. Or used
23 to, I haven't messed with them in awhile.
24
25 > So I am asking some Gentoo amd64 users, are you happy with the version
26 > or would you have gained more with i386?
27
28 I've been running amd64 for over a year now. About the only real problem I've stumbled
29 on has been some PVR issues, one with Abiword where it print. But those are being worked
30 on, with the PVR issue resolved.
31
32 Pulling video from DV tapes via ieee1394 works well. As does using a D-Link USB FM tuner.
33
34 > Do most applications work on amd64 or are there some important ones missing?
37 Pure-FTPD doesn't work on amd64. I've been unable to get lighttpd running.
38
39 My complaint at the moment is I have to run my monitor at 1280x1024 if I want 3D acceleration.
40 But that's Gfx card/driver interaction that'll get sorted out eventually. Normally. I should
41 be running at 1600x1024. At work, I've been running a 23" flat panel at 1920x1200 with
42 3D acceleration on an amd64 system, though I have problems with ut2004 on that system,
43 while UT runs great. (Both systems use an nVidia 660GT.)
44
45 Bob
46 --
47 -