From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] Disappointing USB3 performance
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2011 20:06:03
1 On 2011-10-24, walt <w41ter@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > I just bought an add-on USB3 adapter and outboard USB3/sata docking
4 > station, and I've been comparing the performance with my old e-sata
5 > outboard docking station. Not so good :(
6 >
7 > After getting some unreliable results with hdparm, I settled on
8 > copying one 3GB file from one partition of the outboard drive to
9 > another partition of the same drive. These results are highly
10 > reproducible, and favor e-sata over USB3 by a large margin.
11 >
12 > Over at least six trials on each docking station I consistently get
13 > 105 seconds for USB and 84 seconds for e-sata, a 5:4 ratio in favor
14 > of e-sata.
15
16 Not surprising. Did you expect that adding a gateway device to the
17 communication path and another protocol layer on top of SATA would
18 make things faster?
19
20 > I used the same hard disk and the same pci-e slot in the same
21 > minimally-loaded machine for all the runs, and got very consistent
22 > results every time.
23 >
24 > Basically, the USB3/sata docking station gets the same throughput as
25 > the older sata 1 drives connected to the onboard pci sata controller,
26 > which is still pretty respectable for an outboard drive, I think.
27
28 Yep, SATA performs the same as SATA. AFAIK, eSATA and SATA are
29 identical apart from the physical specs for the connector, a few minor
30 voltage level differences (to imporove noise tolerance), and hot-plug
31 support.
32
33 > So, has anyone out there done similar tests on USB3 drives yet?
34
35 There are disk drives that talk USB3 natively and aren't just using
36 USB<->SATA gateways?
39 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! How many retured
40 at bricklayers from FLORIDA
41 gmail.com are out purchasing PENCIL
42 SHARPENERS right NOW??