From: Alan Grimes <alonzotg@×××××××.net>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] *sob*
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2022 04:47:54
1 I hate linux.
2
3 Yeah, I know I know. First mofo to argue with me about the above gets a
4 free ounce of lead, express delivery.
7 All of the followning statemens are true:
8
9 1. I am never not running seamonkey, it is always open at all times on
10 my left hand monitor, If at any point it was not on my left hand monitor
11 either I must have been going through a power failure or something had
12 broken it, because it is working at the moment I have decided not to use
13 emerge update for the next six months, two months in to that period at
14 this point.
15
16 2. Seamonkey is my default browser.
17
18 3. Seamonkey cannot be launched twice, ie it cannot be launched on my
19 right hand monitor because the monitors are using separte X servers and
20 it would need to be launched twice to come up on that monitor.
21
22 4. many applications that I run on my right hand monitor try to launch
23 my default browser which always reports an error message because it is
24 already running on a different monitor.
27 Therefore I need to obliterate the concept of a default web browser from
28 my machine.
29
30 All the stuff about default web browsers on goog is from different
31 distros. If I copy and paste the commands I get various obscure error
32 messages.
33
34 The only thing that seems to know how the default web browser was set is
35 a thing called "XDG" or "Xdg-config"
36
37 The manual page for xdg-config is criminally sparse. The author clearely
38 couldn't conceive that anyone would ever want to remove any setting for
39 any reason, especially not the holy default web browser, or set it to a
40 blank or default state...
41
42 I found that xdg had set a bunch of environment variables, and utilizes
43 data dilectories in every corner of my system. The hundreds of
44 individual files it uses don't have anything so obvious as
45
46  <DEFAULT APPS>
47 <Web Browser>seamonkey.desktop </web browser>
48 </default apps>
49
50 Dear god! The user might try to manage his settings without the obscure
51 UNDOCUMENTED, crappy application we penguinoids think he should use it.
52 Instead, we need to come up with the most obscure, convoluted,
53 spaghetti-ized, obfuscated, arcane, and archaic design we can think of
54 to make sure the user never EVER gets control of his own system.
55
56 It feels like a metastatized cancer. It looks like it's intertwined with
57 as much of my system as possible. My home directory is incohprehensibly
58 stale, it has garbage that was left there fifteen years ago.
59
60 It looks like most of it is hiding among my steam games in
61 .local/share/  Most of the stuff in there is garbage from 2014, some
62 active files tho.
63
64 Only a penguin could invent a system this difficult for the user to
65 inspect and control.
66
67 Even after deleting the files xdg-settings still cheerfully reports my
68 default web browser is seamonkey,
69
70 NO YOU MTOHERFUCKER , NO DEFAULT, NO WEB , NO MOTHERFUCKING BROWSER, AND
71 NO SEAMONKEY!!! NONE OF IT YOU MOTHERFUCKKING MOTHERFUCKER AND BURN IN
72 HELL TO EVERYONE RESPONSIBLE FOR XDG!!
75 Beware of Zombies. =O
76 #EggCrisis #BlackWinter
77 White is the new Kulak.
78 Powers are not rights.