From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gitlab experiences
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2016 13:13:18
1 On Wed, Jul 13, 2016 at 8:44 AM, James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Has anyone attempted to install a self hosted gitlab on gentoo server(s)?
4 > A small gentoo cluster/container setup? Using a Distributed File System,
5 > like cephfs, orangefs or other DFS?
8 I know the Gentoo Infra team has had negative experiences with hosting
9 just about anything Java and don't want to go near it. I don't know
10 if that is based on specific experiences with GitLab or with just
11 avoidance with Java in general. Most of the competing solutions in
12 this space are also Java-based which is why we don't host any kind of
13 alternative to Github.
14
15 So, take that as a data point or not as you wish. Certainly
16 interested to hear what others have found.
17
18 One thing I might suggest if there are concerns with maintenance of
19 Java is that you try to containerize it as much as possible. Put
20 Gitlab and its dependencies in a container. Use config management to
21 carefully track what need to be changed above the baseline to get it
22 working. Put all the storage on mounts hosted outside the container
23 and bind/network mount them into the container. Then if things get
24 out of hand in updates/etc you can just build a new Gitlab container
25 on each update, apply configuration and mounts, and then test it out.
26 You could make everything Gitlab depends on essentially disposable
27 that way.
30 Rich