From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Running out of space on /var partition
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 21:52:54
1 Michael Mol wrote:
2 > On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 5:07 PM, Dale<rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 >> Neil Bothwick wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> On Wed, 27 Jul 2011 10:58:28 -0500, Dale wrote:
7 >>>
8 >>>
9 >> I have 16Gbs here. It's not like I'm going to run out or anything. I can
10 >> put half on tmpfs and still have 8Gbs left. That is more than enough to
11 >> compile even OOo with no space problems.
12 >>
13 >> Thoughts?
14 >>
15 > This is Gentoo, where all us users are reputed to spend their days
16 > passing around benchmarks of "emerge -e world", right?
17 >
18 > Try it. :)
23 Yep, we do that. Mine is about 12 hours. I would post it but I got a
24 Blocker instead. I'll work on that and post it later. lol
25
26 Point is, I have more than enough memory to test the theory that putting
27 portage's work directory on tmpfs is faster/slower than a hard drive. I
28 tested it and it really didn't make much difference. Most of the time
29 it was slower but a couple times it was faster but only by a few seconds.
30
31 I guess drives are just a lot faster nowadays or at least fast enough.
32 I dunno.
33
34 Dale
35