From: Joshua Murphy <poisonbl@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: OT: Re: [gentoo-user] X Freezes With Firefox on Many Post 2.6.38 Kernels
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2011 13:16:31
1 On Sun, Jul 31, 2011 at 7:13 AM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Sunday 31 Jul 2011 09:49:33 Dale wrote:
3 >> Mick wrote:
4 >> > On Sunday 31 Jul 2011 01:53:39 Peter Humphrey wrote:
5 >> >> I hope you're pleased to know the process finished. 23 hours to move a
6 >> >> partition! Never heard anything like it.
7 >> >
8 >> > Not unheard of.  If you have too small/large bs and the disk is
9 >> > relatively large it will take quite some hours to get it transfered bit
10 >> > by bit.
11 >>
12 >> How do you know what size bs to use?  I didn't specify one when I did
13 >> mine.  Is there a "auto" option maybe?
14 >>
15 >> Just curious.
16 >
17 > Sorry I was thinking of using dd to move/clone a partition, which allows you
18 > to set bs.  Not sure how parted does it - it could potentially default to
19 > bs=512 for all but the latest large disks, which would make things slower I
20 > guess.
21 > --
22 > Regards,
23 > Mick
24 >
25
26 Well, GParted, if I recall, does a couple checks to guess 'best' block
27 size when cloning or moving a partition, but I'm really not sure how
28 it does things when shrinking and shifting it sideways to a spot that
29 overlaps with where it started... but based on the above, I would
30 guess it really does do a bs of 512, or ar best, the cluster size of
31 the file system it is moving (usually 4k), since it's moving the data
32 stored there, not the whole partition, block for block.
33
34 --
35 Poison [BLX]
36 Joshua M. Murphy