From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Should I install pulseaudio to solve my phonon audio problems?
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 17:00:49
1 On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 10:18 AM, mike@×××××××.us <mike@×××××××.us> wrote:
2 > On 08/20/2012 02:19 AM, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
3 >> And the players output to PulseAudio directly or through the ALSA
4 >> emulation? In GNOME 2 you could configure GStreamer (which both
5 >> Rhythmbox and Banshee use) to use PulseAudio as default sink, or using
6 >> ALSA; but it PA is running, newer versions will automagically detect
7 >> it and use it [1]. I use GNOME 3 and PA is mandatory, so I don't
8 >> remember exactly how it was.
9 >
10 > I just checked my GStreamer settings, and they are correct; here is a
11 > transcript of the configuration window for gstreamer-properties:
12 >
13 > ==================================
14 > Default Output
15 >
16 > Plugin: PulseAudio Sound Server
17 > Device: Internal Audio Analog Surround 5.1
18 > Pipeline: [can't read, runs off the screen and window won't resize]
19 > ==================================
20 >
21 > The Input section is blank, and I never use the input so it doesn't matter.
22 >
23 > I still have to do the scroll-up/scroll-down trickery every time I start
24 > a stream in Banshee or Rhythmbox.
25
26 I don't know what to tell you, except that I haven't had any problem
27 with my 5.1 configuration. Ever. The internal soundcard in my desktop
28 is also 5.1 capable, and it also just works (just checked).
29
30 What I know is that several times I read the author complaining on how
31 Ubuntu packages PA [1], but I have never used Ubuntu, so I don't know.
32 I just installed PA in Gentoo when it became stable, I have never
33 touched its configuration files, and it just works, in all my machines
34 (that use audio; I don't use it on servers, obviously).
35
36 Regards.
37
38 [1] http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/pa-in-ubuntu.html