From: "Benjamen R. Meyer" <bm_witness@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Mounting Question...
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 13:44:00
1 I set up a server system a little while ago, and in performing updates
2 to portage it ran out of disk space as I didn't quite allow enough space
3 on the root partition (3.8 GB). As a result, I took a partition that I
4 had cleaned up (this was from a rebuild of a system that was a different
5 distro in the past) and moved over /usr/portage to it. It's a 47 GB
6 partition (as reported by df -h) and the system works fine.
7
8 I do realize that if the mount command got screwed up, I'd probably have
9 issues recovering the system, but that is that system.
10
11 I am now thinking of converting my desktop over to Gentoo as well, and
12 was wondering whether what I did above on the server was wise or not. I
13 will be using the server as the portage provider for my desktop too.
14 Otherwise, what is the recommended space to have available for the
15 portage tree in /usr/portage so I can have root as an appropriately
16 sized partition?
17
18 TIA,
19