From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: OT: advice sought on new laptop for Gentoo
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2010 06:21:16
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 01:42 on Monday 06 September 2010, Grant
2 Edwards did opine thusly:
3
4 > >> Yup, and 16x9 sucks -- it's just an excuse to ship smaller,
5 > >> lower-resolution displays labelled with bigger numbers.
6 > >>
7 > >>
8 > >>
9 > >> Complete ripoff.
10 > >
11 > > If you have 16:9 at 1280*720, then yes, it is going to suck. There is
12 > > nothing inherently wrong with the aspect ratio, please desist from
13 > > trying to make it so.
14 >
15 > Yes, there is an inherent problem: in order to get what I consider
16 > acceptable vertical size/resolution you have to buy something that's
17 > rediculously wide.
18
19 Untrue.
20
21 Vertical resolution depends only on the available dimension and the number of
22 pixels-per-inch of your screen.
23
24 How do you manage to take the position that screen height somehow depends on
25 the machine width? Remember that we are talking regular sized notebooks here
28 > > There are good reasons for it. It most easily fits the overall
29 > > dimensions of the machine, you have a wide and not very deep keyboard
30 > > plus space for a touchpad and palm rests. It's all approximately
31 > > 16:9.
32 >
33 > No it's not. At least only on any of my laptops. I suppose you can
34 > tack on a useless numeric keypat to try to take up some of the extra
35 > horizontal space that's required in order to get a screen that's tall
36 > enough to be useful.
37
38 I have a 16:9 in a regular sized notebook, a Dell M1530. There's no numpad. In
39 fact the keyboard takes up less space horizontally than I'm used to.
40
41 So please tell me again where this machine width thing comes from?
42
43 > > I paid the extra to get 16:9 @ 1920x1200. Best thing I ever did
44 > > laptop-wise - I can get two webpages side by side on the screen
45 > > looking very natural.
46 > >
47 > > Did you know that 16:9 is the eye's natural aspect ratio?
48 >
49 > How do you explain the widespread popularity of portrait mode for
50 > printed material? Text is much easier to read in tall, narrow,
51 > columns. The more lines of code you can see at once when editing
52 > source code, the fewer the bugs. Both those have been experimentally
53 > verified.
54
55 Tall narrow columns come from newsprint and the average person does not
56 display only text on a screen. Even the example you cite - printed material -
57 is incomplete, in that few folks have only one of them when working.
58
59 The usual case is one book for reference, and at least one other work area.
60 Which is why I mentioned two web sites side by side at a very acceptable size.
63 > > Test it sometime with outstreched fingers.
64 >
65 > I still vastly prefer 4:3 for all of the work I do. I guess if you
66 > want to watch movies, and you don't mind hauling around a useless
67 > numeric keypad, 16:9 is nice.
68
69 Once again, who mentioned a numpad? I didn't. You inserted that the bolster
70 your argument, but I never put it there.
71
72 Personally, I think you went cheap and bought a less-than-ideal screen based
73 on price. I didn't make that error - I spent the extra bucks, sacrificed a few
74 features here and there and went for the best on offer. I have full 1200
75 height (the same as I get out of my 21" CRT monitor) which instantly renders
76 all your arguments redundant.
77
78 So tell me again why there is something wrong with 16:9?
79
80 I think you have it conflated with 800 height which indeed is pathetic.
84 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com