From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Building a test system
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 11:04:20
1 On Fri, 24 Apr 2009 11:14:50 +0100, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2
3 > I want to install Gentoo on a spare partition as a testbed. It would
4 > have KDE4 and be ~amd64 throughout. My question is when to set
5 > ACCEPT_KEYWORDS - whether to do it at the earliest possible stage in
6 > installing, or build an amd64 system and only then add ~amd64 to
7 > make.conf.
8
9 Set it as soon as possible; ideally during the initial installation but
10 right after the first boot at the latest. Then do emerge -uavDN world
11 before you touch anything else.
12
13 Doing it straight after the stage 3 unpack means you won't have to
14 install, configure and compile a stable kernel, then repeat the whole
15 process when you switch keywords. The same applies to changing USE flags.
19 Neil Bothwick
20
21 Facts are stubborn, but statistics are more pliable