From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE-4.2 problems
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 12:02:29
1 On Freitag 13 Februar 2009, András, Csányi - Sayusi Ando wrote:
2 > Hi all!
3 >
4 > After few weeks suffer (under XP) I came back and I have few questions!
5 > I installed kde-4.2 and this is love at first sight!
6 >
7 > But - there is always an 'but'... ;) - k3b is depends on
8 > kdelibs-3.5.x. Yesterday I wanted to update my system and kdelibs-4.x
9 > and kdelibs-3.5.x are blocked package.
10 > I installed kde-4.2 with kdeprefix USE flag.
11
12 install k3b-9999 from the kde-testing overlay. It depends on kde 4.X
15 > Other hand the Openoffice with kde flag has dependency to kdelibs-3.5.x.
18 well, what do you get from ooo with kde useflag? Isn#t it just an artwork
19 flag?
20
21 > Other thing is powerdevil. This is an laptop (Dell Latitude e6400) and
22 > with cpufrequtils I can manipulate (speedstep) the processors but
23 > under KDE-4 I can't. I can't turn off one processor. I think
24 > powerdevil can't communicate with something. The error message is
25 > suggested few things and I did install these libs (libXext and one
26 > more, I'm under Xp and I can't view)
27 > Under XP I can choose many profile. With the hardest the laptop can
28 > work almost 4 hours with batterys. Under Linux on 800Mhz (2
29 > processors) the powertop say ~2.5 hours. I think this is more than big
30 > difference.
31
32 you can create power profiles in the systemsettings app.
33 But linux is known not to be as good as windows xp when it comes to power
34 savings.
37 > I thought that I downgrade the system to kde-3.5 and I will make an
38 > usable environment with compiz to work. With the kdeprefix use flag I
39 > can manage kde-4.x tree too.
40
41 compiz and usable are mutual exclusive.
44 > So there are my problems and I think I can manage (sometimes this time
45 > is wasted time, but I like Iron Maiden very much ;) ). But I need
46 > yours experience and suggestions, what do you do If you are in my
47 > position?
48
49 there is no reason to 'downgrade' to kde 3.5. Openoffice is usable without
50 kde-flag - in kde. k3b is available for kde 4.2 (or use tkdvd which is ugly
51 bug can do all the stuff you need most of the time).
54 > Thank you for help and I'm sorry my english. I feel dizzy, I have flu.
55
56 not a good time to tinker with your system ;)