From: Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] resizing and moving home directory to new partition on same drive
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2021 10:51:30
1 On 11/01/21 04:06, thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote:
2 > On 1/10/21 3:46 PM, antlists wrote:
3 >> And a little bit you might have missed - DON'T put root's home on a mounted disk - if it's currently in /home, move it to /. Don't forget to edit /etc/passwd if you have to move it.
4 >
5 > Can I use "nano" to edit /etc/password file
6 > all I need to change is the
7 > user:x:1000:1000::/home/user:/bin/bash
8 >
9 > to:
10 > user:x:1000:1000::/mnt/home/user:/bin/bash
11 >
12 > Or I need to use: "vipw -s"
13 >
14 No - if you follow my suggestion you don't need to change anything. Just
15 make sure, before you wipe your old install you know which user numbers
16 are used for "user" - here it's 1000, and "thelma" if you've got a user
17 called thelma.
18
19 What I was worried about was you might have a line
20
21 0:x:0:0::/home/root:/bin/bash
22
23 What THAT line should be is
24
25 0:x:0:0::/root:/bin/bash
26
27 but it probably already is. You seem to be confusing the root user and
28 yourself - you need to get that straight in your head because if you
29 don't you're likely to give yourself some nasty shocks.
30
31 Cheers,
32 Wol