From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Installing Gentoo 2005.1 on an SATA drive
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2005 22:15:47
1 On 9/5/05, Jamie Dobbs <jamie.dobbs@×××××××××.nz> wrote:
2 > I have been trying to install Gentoo 2005.1 on an SATA drive connected to
3 > a Silicon Image chipset controller. The SATA interface and drive are found
4 > at boot, I then create 3 parititions:
5 >
6 > /dev/sda1 32M /boot
7 > /dev/sda2 512M
8 > /dev/sda3 40GB /
9 >
10 > Then I go through the usual process of untarring a stage3 tarball, copying
11 > over a portage snapshot and distfiles etc. all goes well, the files are on
12 > the partitions and all looks fine.
13 >
14 > The issue occurs when I try to chroot into the new environment when
15 > issuing the command chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash I get the error
16 > "segmentation fault" and cannot chroot into the new environment.
17 >
18 > Is there likely to be something that I am doing wrong? Is there another
19 > set of instructions specifically for an SATA install?
20
21 No, everything is normal. I've brought up one this wekk and a few
22 before. No problems other than finding the drive. You've already done
23 that.
26 > I had issues getting the drive to work in Windows as well until I removed
27 > by Pinannacle PCTV card after which Windows found the drive with no
28 > problems - could it perhaps be that this caused a hardware conflict that
29 > caused the above error? I haven't had the time to try the install again
30 > since removing the PCTV card but would like to know if there is anything
31 > different I need to do to install Gentoo to an SATA disk.
32
33 Nothing at all different.
34
35 To me this sounds more like some driver having trouble after the
36 chroot command. My machines are ATI and Via chipsets with SATA built
37 in. You are using the Silicon Image chips. Maybe that driver has some
38 issues?
39
40 This is the kernel on the 2005.1 CD, correct? That's a pretty new kernel.
41
42 - Mark
45 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list