From: Frank Schafer <frank.schafer@×××××××××.cz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Acer TM2313 NIC problems
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2005 07:17:28
1 Hi,
2
3 I've bought a new Acer TravelMate 2313. I've tried to install this
4 weekend.
5 Everything seemed to go fine but I don't have a network connection.
6
7 The NIC is a SiS 900 PCI fast ethernet adapter. Looking at ``dmesg''
8 there everything looks O.K. I see the driver loading, finding the card
9 and bringing the link up.
10
11 The lights on the NIC are both (continous) lighting. If I do an
12 ``ifconfig eth0 down'' followed by an ``ifconfig eth0 up`` the lights
13 turn both off for about one second and then both on again.
14
15 I see the link coming up in the log and in dmesg.
16
17 Trying to ping some address I get "network unreachable". The network
18 connection itself works. This is tested with another (Acer) notebook.
19
20 Due to the fact that there are a couple of messages about disconnecting
21 and connecting PCI devices in the log I'm wondering about a hardware
22 problem.
23
24 Well this all don't happen with Gentoo. Acer (fortunately) has a "Linpus
25 Linux" installed on delivery. So I have a means to do some recovery.
26
27 I've tried this of course with the Gentoo install CD too. Further on
28 I've tried Knoppix, Mandrake, SuSe, Ubuntu and Fedora.
29
30 I know I've seen some messages about Acer notebooks on this list.
31 Unfortunately I cannot search the archives without a network connection.
32 My chief tolerates if I'm writing a mail during working time. I'm afraid
33 he won't tolerate me spending hours searching something private on the
34 WEB.
35
36 If someone knows about issues with the sis900.c module please let me
37 know.
38
39 Thanks in advance
40 Frank
41
42 PS: ... and yes, I did RTFM ``menuconfig'' points to. ;)
45 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list