From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gnome 3 has landed
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2011 01:09:51
1 On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 12:07 PM, walt <w41ter@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Well, at least on ~x86 and ~amd64 gnome3 is the default now.  I have
3 > mixed feelings about gnome3, so I let gentoo install it on a VirtualBox
4 > VM to start with and I'll think about updating my real machines later.
5 >
6 > The new gnome-shell is the controversial piece of gnome3 and (so far)
7 > I find it counterproductive.
8 >
9 > I googled how to disable the gnome-shell and get my gnome-panel back,
10 > along with the panel applets that I refuse to give up.  (The gnome-
11 > shell replaces the gnome-panel, so there is nowhere to run the old
12 > applets.)
13 >
14 > If you want to disable gnome-shell you can do it with the System Info
15 > function in System Settings.  Click the Graphics icon and enable the
16 > gnome-fallback setting to disable gnome-shell.  Ah, much better :)
17
18 Slashdot today had an announcement of a Linux Mint 12 release which
19 notably had comments about something called Mint Gnome Shell
20 Extensions which supposedly lets them use Gnome 3 with a 'Gnome 2-Like
21 Experience'. (How's that for marketing?!?)
22
23 Maybe there's something there that could help you?
24
25 Cheers,
26 Mark