From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] --depclean wants to remove openrc. Yikes!
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2021 14:46:56
1 Hello, Rich.
2
3 On Sat, Jul 24, 2021 at 10:14:20 -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
4 > On Sat, Jul 24, 2021 at 9:47 AM Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de> wrote:
5
6 > > So in these virtual packages, it seems by default the _last_ mentioned
7 > > package in a || ( ... ) construct is the one --depclean keeps. It all
8 > > has the feeling of things not having been properly thought through.
11 > I'm not sure what the default is - most likely PMS just requires that
12 > one of them be kept.
13
14 PMS? Part of emerge?
15
16 It seems it's insisting on removing all packages but one which satisfy a
17 virtual. Maybe that is unwise, and it should keep _all_ such packages
18 which are currently installed.
19
20 > If daemontools (or something that depends on it) is in your @world
21 > that would explain why openrc was selected for removal.
22
23 OK, that solves the mystery, thanks.
24
25 > I don't know enough to comment on whether daemontools is a substitute
26 > for openrc. My first complete guess would be that it could either be
27 > used in addition to openrc or on its own.
28
29 I've only ever used it as part of qmail (the mail transport program),
30 never on its own. I'm loathe to mess around with it, since my email
31 depends on it. But from what I remember about daemontools, it probably
32 could be used as an alternative to openrc, I just don't envisage anybody
33 wanting to do it, though.
34
35 > Busybox can be a substitute for sysvinit or udev though most people
36 > who have it installed probably don't intend for it to be used that
37 > way. You could have that conversation with the maintainer.
38
39 I'm considering submitting a bug to bugs.gentoo.org, requesting that
40 _all_ installed packages satisfying a virtual get kept. There is surely
41 something wrong when somebody who just wants to be a user (me) has to
42 read .ebuild files to get normal things done.
43
44 > --
45 > Rich
48 Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).