From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Will ARM take over the world?
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2012 02:02:36
1 On Sat, Dec 08, 2012 at 10:51:15PM -0500, Michael Mol wrote
2
3 > It's looking promising. Not that I have a horse in the race, but I
4 > very much like ARM's low power consumption.
5
6 There's an article on Slashdot about Intel's relatively new 22 nm
7 SOC (System On Chip) design...
8 http://hardware.slashdot.org/story/12/12/10/2346257/tsmc-and-global-foundries-plan-risky-process-jump-as-intel-unveils-22nm-soc
9
10 It's not so much that Atom consumes more power than an ARM SOC, it's
11 that a multi-core Atom, plus a discrete GPU, plus various other discrete
12 components, consumes more power than an ARM SOC. Move the discrete
13 components onto the chip (hence System On Chip), and power consumption
14 goes down. Intel can still wring out a lot of efficiencies. They
15 simply haven't had to in the past.
16
17 That's totally separate from obvious stuff like fabbing only one core
18 on their low-power-chips. A 2 or 4-core Atom on a smartphone/tablet is
19 the computing equivalant of one person commuting to work in
20 rush-hour-crawl traffic in a minivan or SUV powered by a V8 engine. A
21 single-core chip would be equivalant to a 4-cylinder engine. It'll do
22 the same easy job, but consume less energy in the process.
25 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
26 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications