From: John Blinka <john.blinka@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] zfs emerge failure
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2017 14:24:57
1 On Tue, Aug 15, 2017 at 7:14 PM, John Blinka <john.blinka@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Tue, Aug 15, 2017 at 6:51 PM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> Yes, and in fact it is in the output when emerge fails:
5 >> /var/tmp/portage/sys-kernel/spl-0.7.1/work/spl-0.7.1/config.log
8 Digging into config.log after a hiatus to attend to other demands of
9 life. Comparing config.log output to the code in the corresponding
10 "configure" script was a little enlightening - at least it was clear
11 what the configure script was trying to do when it failed. In
12 anticipation of throwing some echo statements into a modified script
13 to help debug further, I tried to see if the configure script could be
14 invoked using the command line arguments documented in config.log. To
15 my surprise, when invoking configure that way, the script proceeded to
16 completion without any problems. There's a clue. Executing on the
17 command line as user root and group root leads to success, and
18 executing through portage as portage:portage (judging from the
19 ownership of files in
20 /var/tmp/portage/sys-kernel/spl-0.7.1/work/spl-0.7.1) leads to
21 failure.
22
23 Thanks for the hint. back to debugging.
24
25 John